Department of Mathematical Sciences, Durham University, Durham, DH1 3LE, UK
+44/0 191 334 3048
first-name [dot] surname [at] durham [dot] ac [dot] uk
We are trained to recognize and avoid unconscious bias, yet conscious bias is the real evil, it is all around us and nothing is done against it.
List of publications
Nonparametric Predictive Inference: NPI webpage
Survival Signatures for System Reliability: Survival Signatures webpage
Mathematical Methods for Reliability:
Mathematical Genealogy: Ancestors
I am supervising the following students for PhD (unless mentioned differently) at Durham, or they are due to start their studies as mentioned.
- Loic Cosyns: `Quasi-Bayesian inference with applications in finance' (part/time)
- Najla Qarmalah: `Mixture models and time series analysis for energy use data' (jointly supervised by Jochen Einbeck)
- Hana Alqifari: `Nonparametric methods for order statistics of future observations'
- Manal Alabdulhadi: `Direct nonparametric methods for setting diagnostic thresholds' (jointly supervised by Tahani Coolen-Maturi)
- Ting He: `Nonparametric predictive inference in finance'
- Junbin Chen: `Nonparametric predictive inference in finance' (jointly supervised by Tahani Coolen-Maturi)
- Abdullah Ahmadini: `Imprecise statistical methods for system reliability' (to start October 2016)
- Hanan Rhoma: `Reproducibility of statistical tests' (MSc by Research; to start October 2016)
- Aesha Najem: `Inventory control for spare parts in system reliability and resilience' (to start January 2017)
- Yi-Chao Yin (Oct 15 - Oct 16) visiting research student (Chengdu, China), working on `Accelerated testing and imprecise probability'
These students have successfully completed their PhD studies (unless mentioned otherwise) at Durham under my supervision.
I collaborate(d) with these students in part of their PhD (or MSc) research.
I am very happily married to Tahani Coolen-Maturi, a frequent victim of conscious bias.
My beloved wife Pauline died in 2008 - remember Pauline, she is with me.
Webpage: Pauline Coolen-Schrijner
(picture 2004) (picture 1994)
Tribute to Pauline in Journal of Risk and Reliability
`In searching out the truth be ready for the unexpected, for it is difficult to find and puzzling when you find it'