Department of Mathematical Sciences, Durham University, Durham, DH1 3LE, UK
+44/0 191 334 3048
first-name [dot] surname [at] durham [dot] ac [dot] uk
We are trained to recognize and avoid unconscious bias, yet conscious bias is the real evil and it is all around us.
List of publications
Nonparametric Predictive Inference: NPI webpage
Survival Signatures for System Reliability: Survival Signatures webpage
Mathematical Methods for Reliability:
Mathematical Genealogy: Ancestors
I am supervising the following students at Durham (for PhD, unless mentioned differently), or they are due to start their studies as mentioned.
- Loic Cosyns: `Quasi-Bayesian inference with applications in finance' (part/time)
- Najla Qarmalah: `Mixture models and time series analysis for energy use data' (jointly supervised by Jochen Einbeck)
- Hana Alqifari: `Nonparametric methods for order statistics of future observations'
- Manal Alabdulhadi: `Direct nonparametric methods for setting diagnostic thresholds' (jointly supervised by Tahani Coolen-Maturi)
- Ting He: `Nonparametric predictive inference in finance'
- Junbin Chen: `Nonparametric predictive inference in finance' (jointly supervised by Tahani Coolen-Maturi)
- Abdullah Ahmadini: `Imprecise statistical methods for system reliability' (to start October 2016)
- Hanan Rhoma: `Reproducibility of statistical tests' (MSc by Research; to start October 2016)
- Aesha Najem: `Inventory control for spare parts in system reliability and resilience' (to start January 2017)
- Yi-Chao Yin (Oct 15 - Oct 16) visiting research student (Chengdu, China), working on `Accelerated testing and imprecise probability'
These students have successfully completed their studies (PhD, unless mentioned differently) at Durham under my supervision.
I collaborate(d) with these students in part of their PhD (or MSc) research.
I am very happily married to Tahani Coolen-Maturi, a frequent victim of conscious bias.
My beloved wife Pauline died in 2008 - remember Pauline, she is with me.
Webpage: Pauline Coolen-Schrijner
(picture 2004) (picture 1994)
Tribute to Pauline in Journal of Risk and Reliability
`In searching out the truth be ready for the unexpected, for it is difficult to find and puzzling when you find it'