- How to request a hardcopy of the
- The Numerical Analysis Group
- Research Interests within the Group
- Recent Publications
There are three members of staff in the numerical analysis group:
- James F
- phase transitions and finite element analysis
Alan W Craig
- finite element and
- Brian Straughan
- Flow in porous media, Thermal convection, Spectral methods.
In the last national research assessment by HEFCE, applied
mathematics, which includes our group, was awarded a 5*, the highest
The interests of the group range over a wide variety of topics
within the field of numerical analysis. These include:
- Faber polynomials, and polynomial and rational approximations of
complex-valued functions, see , .
- Numerical methods for ordinary differential equations, see , .
- Numerical solution of partial differential equations:
Finite element, Finite volume and multigrid methods, see
, , .
- Analytical and numerical study of phase transitions, see , , .
There is a weekly seminar in term time.
We have a
World Wide Web
page where you will find up to
date information about seminars, publications and research interests.
- J.P. Coleman, Rational approximations for the
cosine function; P-acceptability and order, Numer. Algorithms 3,
- J.P. Coleman & N.J. Myers, The Faber
polynomials for annular sectors, Math. Comp. 64,
- J.P. Coleman & L.Gr. Ixaru,
P-stability and exponential-fitting methods for y''=f(x,y),
IMA Journal of Numerical Analysis, 16, pp. 179-199 (1996).
- J.P. Coleman & A.S. Booth, The Chebyshev methods of
Panovsky and Richardson as Runge-Kutta-Nystrom methods, J. Comput.
Appl. Math. 61, pp. 245-261 (1995).
- J.W. Barrett & J.F. Blowey,
An Error Bound for the Finite Element Approximation of the Cahn-Hilliard
Equation with Logarithmic Free Energy, Numerische Mathematik,
72, pp. 1-20 (1995).
- M. Ainsworth & A.W. Craig, A posteriori error
estimation in the finite element method,
Numer. Math. 60, 429-463 (1992).
- I. Babuska, A.W. Craig, J. Mandel and J.
Pitkaranta, Efficient preconditioning for the
the finite element method in two dimensions, SIAM J. Num.
Anal. 28 (1991).
- J.F. Blowey, M.I.M. Copetti & C.M. Elliott,
The numerical analysis of a model for phase separation of a
multi-component alloy, IMA Journal of Numerical Analysis, 16,
pp. 111-139 (1996).
- J.F. Blowey & C.M. Elliott, A phase field
model with double obstacle potential, In: MOTION BY MEAN
CURVATURE AND RELATED TOPICS, (Eds. Buttazzo,G; Visintin,A),
de Gruyter pp.1-22 (1994).
- J.F. Blowey & C.M. Elliott, Curvature
dependent phase boundary motion and parabolic double obstacle
problems, In: THE IMA VOLUMES IN MATHEMATICS AND ITS
APPLICATIONS, vol. 47, (Eds. Wei-Ming, Ni; Peletier,L.A.;
Vazquez,J.L.), Springer-Verlag pp.19-60 (1993).
research reports and
publications are available electronically.
A link to the beginning of this document
James Blowey. (e-mail email@example.com).
direct e-mail if your browser supports it.
- Revised 22/5/97.